Thursday, October 13, 2011

Baby Boomers and the 21st Century

Ok, I now have a blog!  It only took me three hours to figure out how to set up a blog, what to write about, think up a snappy title, and I'm still not sure I've done it correctly.  Up until last year I never knew what a blog was, let alone write one.  As much as I hate to admit it, I needed the help of a few former students to get even this far.  So, since I am not one to take credit for someone else's fantastic ideas, I will take the time right now to run some credits:
CJ Rose for reminding me that I had a wealth of useable info still stored in recesses of my brain.
Jesse Butts for my Blog title
Jason Dahl for leading me to Blogspot and reminding me that I was witness to the advance of the British!

Yes, I am a Baby Boomer.  I grew up with telephones with dials and party lines...(that's five or six people sharing the same telephone number).  A cell phone was my mom yelling for me from three blocks away!  I learned to type on a typewriter.   I came into the computer age kicking and screaming when my boss took away my IBM Selectric typewriter and gave me a moniter, keyboard, and a mouse.

I admit, I do not handle this new technology very well.  It's advancing faster than I can keep up.  I'm on a first-name basis with the AT &T technician for heaven's sake!!  My cell phone is considered outdated because all it does is ring and place calls...no photos, no internet, no movies...just calls!

At some point I know I am going to have to scream UNCLE and come completely into the 21st century.  For now, I'll just continue chatting on facebook, working my multimillion dollar farm, and trying desperately to beat my opponent in scrabble!

3 comments:

  1. i'm trying to figure out how people can comment on this page

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can use a lot of common ids to post to this page if you have a comment. Like I'm doing now :D
    This is Marielle, and i'm using my blogger acct, personally. :D
    So hi. :) I look forward to reading your stories. If you ever want to take a gander at my blog, it's at www.tarantella23.blogspot.com :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Marielle. I will check out your blog. I'm very new at this...as my comments above state. Don't know what I'd do with the help of some of my former students ...who are always willing to give their ole' teacher a helping hand now and then. I didn't realize that I actually did have a few things to write about until one of my students reminded me of all the stories and stuff i presented in class years back.

    ReplyDelete